Survival Time Without Water
Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 11:06 AM
How long can you survive without water? Three days? More or less, which depends on:
- How well you are hydrated at the onset of water deprivation
- How much do you sweet, which depends mainly on the ambient temperature and your physical activity.
Few real-life cases:
- A newborn has survived after being 9.5 days (from his 4th to 14th day) in the incubator in a maternity hospital under the ruins of earthquake in Mexico city in 1985.
- A seven year old boy and his ten year old sister have survived after being trapped for eight days under the rails of 2010 Haiti earthquake. Their 4 year old brother didn't make it through, though.
- A 97 years old woman has survived for eight days without water after an earthquake in Iran.
Some estimations for survival in a desert:
- While sitting in a shaddow at 90 °F (32 °C), you may survive for seven days without water.
- While walking under the sun at 104 °F (40 °C), you may survive for less than 16 hours.