How a trendy New York City restaurant is going green
Concerned about your impact on the environment? So are restaurateurs—in fact, many have pledged to take a “green initiative” as members of the Green Restaurant Association, a national non-profit organization that provides a convenient and cost-effective way for restaurants and consumers to become more environmentally responsible. "Lupa Osteria Romana," a trendy restaurant located in New York City’s bustling SoHo, is proud to be a Two Star Certified Green Restaurant™ and has implemented several environmentally sustainable practices in accordance with the Green Restaurant Association’s rigorous guidelines. Like many other restaurants, Lupa Osteria Romana has been recognized for its eco-friendly policies, not only but its customers, but also by several food critics.
What are the “green” policies implemented by restaurants like Lupa Osteria Romana?
Those who dine at Lupa Osteria Romana often learn that the restaurant has taken a green initiative within the first few minutes of entering its Thompson Street location, whether it’s by noticing the myriad of organic ingredients listed on the menu or even by noticing the automatic hand dryer (instead of paper towels) in the bathroom. There are several other policies that the SoHo restaurant has also implemented, including the use of 100% recycled bath tissue and 100% recycled menu paper—printed with vegetable inks. Furthermore, Lupa has also made efforts to conserve significant amounts of water by installing water-conserving faucet aerators on all of the restaurant kitchen’s hand sinks. The restaurant’s Energy Star dishwasher also enables the restaurant to not only use less water, but also less water, simultaneously. In addition, with regard to energy conservation, 60% of Lupa’s lighting fixtures are high efficiency bulbs, and the remaining 40% are Compact Fluorescent Lamps.
Furthermore, Lupa makes extensive efforts to effectively reduce waste production. For instance, the restaurant has implemented not only a pre and post consumer waste composting program, but also a full-scale recycling program, which includes the processing of cardboard, metal, plastic, and glass. The restaurant also does not use polystyrene foam, more commonly known as Styrofoam. In order to combat additional waste production, Lupa has eliminated bottled water and has replaced it with a filtering and carbonizing water system, which was installed as an environmentally friendly alternative. The water that has been filtered and sterilized by the system, is served in reusable carafes, which, unlike water bottles, don’t end up in landfills.
Lupa Osteria Romana is one of the many restaurants that have implemented the environmentally friendly policy of serving healthy “green” foods—31% of which are vegan, and 20% of which are vegetarian. Similar to other restaurants, like “Le Pain Quotidien” in New York City, Lupa ensures that its ingredients are of the highest quality, a philosophy that influences every part of the way the restaurant does business—from the food it serves to the design of its stores to the materials it uses. “It’s good for our bodies, our communities, and our earth.”