5 Awesome Apps to Help Save the World
There currently are more than 500,000 apps available for the iPhone at the Apple App Store. So you can find an app for virtually anything. With all those apps, there are quite a few available that help the world to be a better place. Read on to learn about some awesome apps that can help to save the world.
- greenMeter:This awesome app has been featured in the New York Times and LA Times. It will compute the power and fuel usage data for your car, and then evaluate how you drive to boost efficiency, increase your mileage and cut costs. Of course, this app also will help you to reduce your impact on the environment. This app is at its best when you are in motion in the car, but if you tip your smartphone forward and pack, you can see how acceleration affects your fuel usage.
- Light Bulb Finder: This free app makes it simple for you to switch from regular light bulbs to various energy-efficient alternatives. You can view various bulb types, learn what they cost, how much you can save, and the environmental impact of all of your bulb choices. And of course, you can shop online at many different stores to find the best bulb prices in your area and elsewhere.
- WebMD: Use your smartphone to get trusted medical information wherever and whenever you need it most. Use this app’s symptom checker when you don’t feel well, research medical conditions, read about various drugs, treatments and side effects, and learn about first aid essentials. Also, you can use its map feature to find your nearest doctor or hospital. A real life saver when you are under the weather and far from home.
- Lose It!: This great app helps you to keep track of how much food you eat, how many calories you consume, and how many calories you burn with exercise. Also, you can use Lose It! to hook up with friends who are trying to lose pounds just like you. This app also has a great recipe section that tells you how many calories are in all sorts of tasty recipes.
- Spring Pad: Who doesn’t need a hand in organizing their brain? This is the ultimate productivity app that helps you to never forget anything again. You can put just about any type of information into Spring Pad and then put it into categories. For example, you can enter a check list, business location, contact information, a barcode scan, recipe, task list, you name it. It is similar to Evernote but is even easier to use.
While we don't expect you to really save the world, these 5 great apps should at least kickstart your efforts. Maybe one day you will!
Robert Hartzell is a freelance writer for a popular mph degree portal, where he highlights the need for public health students to become the leaders of tomorrow. More recently he profiled 10 Great Careers in Public Health for students unsure of their direction in this exciting field. He invites feedback on all articles.