MNN Galleries

10 remarkable animals that have saved lives

Carbon monoxide warning cat

Photo: Associated Press

9 of 12

Cat warns family about carbon monoxide

After a gasoline-powered water pump leaked odorless carbon monoxide into the Keesling family's home, their cat Winnie began to nudge and meow loudly at their ears. “It was a crazy meow, almost like she was screaming,” said Cathy Keesling. By the time she got up, Cathy Keesling was already dizzy and nauseous from the fumes, and her husband and son were completely unconscious. But thanks to Winnie, Cathy was able to dial 911 before anyone was seriously harmed.