Man eaten by 'dinosaur-sized' shark
Zimbabwean man killed in South Africa by a shark described by witnesses as 'gigantic' and 'dinosaur huge'.
Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:45 AM
Beachgoers fear a real-life Jaws is loose in Cape Town, South Africa, after a Zimbabwean tourist was killed by a shark thought to be an extremely large great white, according to The Guardian.
Lloyd Skinner was said to be standing in the surf and adjusting his goggles when he was pulled out to sea, leaving behind nothing but his goggles and a dark patch of blood in the water.
"Holy s***. We just saw a gigantic shark eat what looked like a person in front of our house," witness Gregg Coppen posted on Twitter just after the incident. "That shark was huge. Like dinosaur huge."
Sharks had been spotted in the water earlier, prompting a warning issued by Cape Town’s disaster management services, but the shark flag wasn’t flying.
Coppen told the Cape Times newspaper that the shark was “longer than a minibus”.
Other witnesses described the horror as the “very big” shark first bit the man, then came back and dragged him away.
One onlooker, Kathy Geldenhuys, noted that her husband commented just moments before the attack that Skinner seemed too far from the other swimmers and would be unreachable if a shark was spotted.
A spokesman for the National Sea Institute told The Guardian that it’s unlikely the victim’s remains will be recovered, though rescue boats and a helicopter spent several days searching for signs.
Shark scientist Alison Kock believes a great white shark is the most likely culprit.
“More than 70 percent of recorded great white attacks on humans result in just the shark biting and then leaving. There is that 30 percent where the shark behaves like it did in this case, where it came back and killed the person."
You Might Also Like