Seychelles shark kills honeymoon tourist
The British tourist was taken to shore following the attack but died from blood loss after the shark ripped off his arm and tore into his leg.
Wed, Aug 17 2011 at 9:27 AM
SHARK ATATCK: The 115-island Indian Ocean archipelago is a popular top-end tourist destination where shark attacks are rare. The last reported fatal shark attack was in 1963. (Photo: evhead/Flickr)
A shark attacked and killed a British tourist as his newlywed wife looked on from a beach in the Seychelles Indian island paradise where they were celebrating their honeymoon, police said Wednesday.
The tourist from Lancashire was hauled onto a boat and taken to shore following the attack but died from blood loss after the shark ripped off his arm and tore into his leg, police said.
"Ian Redmond, a 30-year-old British man, was on honeymoon with his wife when he was attacked by a shark while diving at Anse Lazio," a police statement said.
"The shark tore off his arm and bit a part of his left leg," it added.
His newly married wife was on the beach — a famous spot hailed for its white sand on the archipelago's Praslin island — and watched helplessly as her husband was savaged by the shark.
"Two people who were on a boat not far from the attack tried to rescue him," the statement added.
"Ian Redmond did not survive his injuries because he had lost too much blood."
The attack happened on Tuesday afternoon in the same area where a shark attacked and killed a 36-year-old French diver earlier this month.
The Seychelles Maritime Safety Authority issued a swimming ban at the Anse Lazio and Anse Georgette beaches, while surveillance patrols were launched in a bid to catch the killer shark.
Shark attacks are rare in Seychelles, with previous fatal attacks occurring in 1963, according to the government.
The 115-island Indian Ocean archipelago is a popular top-end tourist destination, with some villa accommodations costing as much as 10,000 euros per night.
Britain's Prince William and his bride, Catherine, celebrated their honeymoon in the archipelago in May.
British officials said they were comforting the distraught widow.
"The British High Commissioner and the vice-consul flew out on Tuesday to support his wife," a British High Commission spokeswoman said.
Britain's Foreign and Commonwealth Office updated travel warnings following the deadly attack, highlighting the swimming ban.
"You should avoid swimming at these designated locations until further notice," the warning read.
Copyright 2011 AFP
You might also like: