What do you know about fall?
What do you know about fall?
Score: 0 10
Question: 0 of 10
The days are getting shorter and cooler and pumpkin spice seems to be everywhere: It must be fall. Here's your chance to test your knowledge of all things autumnal.
Start the Quiz
Q: The full moon that occurs closest to the fall equinox is called the Harvest Moon. Which of these is not the traditional name for another full moon?
The others occur (respectively) in March, January and November.
- Worm Moon
- Locust Moon
- Wolf Moon
- Beaver Moon
Q: Daylight saving time ends at 2 a.m. on the first Sunday of November. What was the most recent U.S. state to adopt the policy?
Kevin D. Clarke/Flickr
Indiana started observing DST statewide in 2006. Hawaii (and most of Arizona) still do not observe daylight saving time.
Q: Pumpkin spice is in everything these days. But what variety of pumpkin is used to make pumpkin spice?
Pumpkin spice traditionally is made of cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg (and sometimes clove and mace too).
- Cinnamon pumpkin
- Autumn Gold pumpkin
- It doesn't contain pumpkin
- Any pumpkin will do
Q: Speaking of pumpkins, the Guinness record for world's heaviest pumpkin (shown here) was awarded in October 2011. How much did it weigh?
Jim and Kelsey Bryson of Canada presented their gigantic gourd at the Prince Edward County Pumpkinfest in Wellington, Ontario, Canada.
- 914 pounds, 2 ounces
- 1,219 pounds, 9 ounces
- 1,818 pounds, 5 ounces
- 2,023 pounds, 10 ounces
Q: Say you want to grow pumpkins. When is the best time to plant?
Pumpkins need warm weather to develop and may rot off if the weather is cool and wet.
- After the last spring frost.
- The first day of summer.
- Just before the first fall frost.
- It doesn't really matter; like zucchini, pumpkins aren't picky.
Q: When is the best time of year to get a flu shot?
Official U.S. Navy Page/Flickr
Oktoberfest runs until the first Sunday in October, roughly coinciding with the CDC's advice to get vaccinated "ideally by October." (But getting vaccinated even later can be protective, as long as flu viruses are circulating.)
- When football season starts
- By the end of Oktoberfest
- By Halloween
- By Thanksgiving
Q: Speaking of Oktoberfest, what does the celebration commemorate?
Roger Jegg - Fotodesign-Jegg.de/Shutterstock
On Oct. 12, 1810, Crown Prince Ludwig married Princess Therese of Saxony-Hildburghausen. The citizens of Munich were invited to attend festivities including horse races, which were such a hit that they were repeated the next year, giving rise to the annual celebration.
- The hops harvest
- The wedding of a prince and princess
- The opening of a Munich brewery
- The first badger hunt with dachshunds
Q: What is the best recipe for colorful fall leaves?
According to the National Arboretum, a wet growing season followed by a dry autumn full of sunny days and cool, frostless nights brings the best fall colors. Freezing temps and hard frosts can lead to poor fall color and early leaf loss.
- Mild nights, overcast days
- Frosty nights, sunny days
- Cool nights, rainy days
- Cool nights, sunny days
Q: What state has its own fall leaf forecaster?
Vermont's commissioner of forests, parks, and recreation holds the unofficial title and helps drive about $460 million in annual tourism revenue.
- West Virginia
- Are you serious? Every state has one.
Q: The leaves of which tree turn yellow in the fall?
Red and purple leaves are actually caused by the presence of sugars from sap that is trapped inside of the leaves.
- Black tupelo
- Pin oak
You must be more of a summer person. Maybe you just need another pumpkin spice latte.You must look good in orange.Is your middle name Autumn? Good job!
TODAY'S MOST POPULAR ON
- 3 foods linked with depression
- 3-D food printer makes perfect pizza
- What does your handwriting say about your personality?
- The dog poem that made Johnny Carson cry
- Amazing way to eat an apple makes core disappear
- Vancouver aims to stomp out cigarette litter with new recycling scheme
- China's moon rover arrives in lunar orbit
- What will humans look like in 100,000 years?
- Too beautiful to be real? 16 surreal landscapes found on Earth
- 7 of the coldest places in the world to live: Bone chilling