MNN week in review
This week's best bets from Mother Nature Network.
Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 08:18 AM
Our picks for the week of Sept. 27-Oct. 3:
• There are some lousy environmental movies out there, but here are five flicks that our media columnist thought deserved notice -- a black eye, of sorts.
• Read what one green mother learned from joining a CSA.
• How does the flu work? Find out with our helpful Translating Uncle Sam feature — just in time for flu season.
• Ask Mother Nature: A curious reader wants to know if washing your car at home is green or not.
• Chuck Leavell takes his inquiring mind (and camera) to interview Chevy Chase and his wife, Jayni. Catch this episode of In the Green Room.
• Meet 10 intriguing environmentalists who are taking bold steps to draw attention to the planet. View the photo gallery.
• Bought an appliance lately? Consumer Reports says it's time for the EnergyStar ratings system to get a makeover.
• The Solar Decathlon is coming up soon. Here's a sneak peek of the cool solar houses that will be on display on the National Mall.
• Here's everything you need to know about apple-picking season, including varieties and even a quiz.
• And finally, a story you shouldn't miss: This obese skunk is on a vegan diet ... to battle his bacon addiction. Seriously.