Our picks for the week of July 4-10:
• With rumors flying about Google's much-anticipated Facebook killer, there's much speculation on the web about the company's ability to pull it off. Our tech blogger says yes, and here's why.
• My family vacation suddenly turned into a staycation. What now? Our expert offers ideas for salvaging the time off.
• Read about a controversial drug being used in the womb to prevent homosexuality in girls.
• Meanwhile our auto blogger talks to Jeff Goodell, author of "How to Cool the Planet", about geoengineering — everything from artificial volcanoes to Special K.
• Here's another timely question for the experts: What can I do to prevent power outages during a heat wave?
• Hold onto your hat: BMW's first electric car, the Megacity Vehicle, is coming in 2013.
Plus: Don't miss the week in the photos, including the image above, which sums up the ongoing Gulf oil spill and the irony of Independence Day all too well.