Our picks for the week of Oct. 31- Nov. 6:
• Did you know that certain toxins in your food can contribute to weight loss? Here are five ways to avoid the chemicals that can make you fat.
• MNN's traveling man Josh Lew explores Lake Superior's North Shore, the place to go for scenery, outdoor fun and a progressive vibe.
• Game day munchies don't have to bring on a heart attack. Here are five healthy recipes for sports fans.
• The energy of the big city is hard to beat, but sometimes a city mouse needs some space. Here are six amazing things that city dwellers miss out on.
• Got a garage? Then you know how quickly that space can look like a junk drawer. Our home expert explains how to transform your garage into an organized green space.
• You'll save money and tread more lightly on the planet with this gallery: Seven things you can make yourself instead of buying.
• Auto blogger Jim Motovalli talks to researchers who are using cell phones and a cool infotainment system to lure car-averse Gen Yers into the auto market.
• Book author Laura Hobgood-Oster — author of "The Friends We Keep: Unleashing Christianity’s Compassion for Animals" — talks with MNN about the connection between God, animals and compassion.
• Everyone knows you can surf on the ocean, but that's so ... expected. MNN's Shea Gunther points outs nine surprising other places you can surf.