MNN week in review: Great animal migrations and much more
This week's best bets from Mother Nature Network.
Sat, Oct 02, 2010 at 08:39 AM
Our picks for the week of Sept. 26-Oct. 2:
• Update your fall fashion wardrobe with a trip to a vintage or secondhand store — and guys, take some cues from the cast of "Mad Men" while you're there.
• The world's great animal migrations are among nature's most inspiring events. Here are 14 amazing animal migrations.
• This week, writer Josh Lew takes you off the beaten path to Dali, China, home of some of the world's most impressive natural landscapes.
• You may shop at the farmers market to stock up, but what do you eat when you're on the run? Here are eight surprising places to find organic food.
• Have you ever thought about getting a bidet? A reader's question prompted a debate here: Is it a silly expense or eco-friendly appliance?
• Ken Edelstein says we need a thousand more Bill McKibbens if we are going to make a dent in our planet's problems. We also need to upgrade our expectations and solutions.
• Gen Y has a message for today's carmakers: Why should we drive your cars when texting is a lot more fun?
• Nothing brings out the stars like a charity event, and this week was the Holy Grail of sightings for our Hollywood reporter. She checked in with Eva Longoria Parker at a cancer event, watched Greg Grunberg and George Lopez play ping pong, watched the stars ante up for a poker match for lupus and marked 30 years with PETA.
• This week marked the release of the annual Forbes list of richest Americans. We followed up and discovered there are a few billionaires who don't over consume. (Maybe that's why they're still on the list.)
• It may the end of the week, but it's the beginning of the ghoulish month — one of our favorites. To that end, here are 12 vampire animals to share. (That's the mysterious vampire squid in the photo above.)
Plus: Don't miss the week in photos, including a cool close-up of a western fence lizard.