Our picks for the week of Aug. 1-8:
• Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water ... Discovery Channel launches another Shark Week. We thought we'd join the festivities with our infographic of shark attack facts. (Cue the music.)
• Want to know what else is scary? The air we breathe. Check out the 7 U.S. cities with the worst air pollution.
• Let's bring down your heart rate with a soothing destination story. This week, MNN takes you to Tel Aviv, which is quietly emerging as a green metropolis.
• No topic is out of bounds for our panel of experts. This week, Matt Hickman tackles natural remedies for bad breath.
• Hickman also offers this downright cuddly approach to Shark Week: shark references in home decor. (Turns out he's not a fan of shark movies. Who knew?)
• Our Lifestyle blogger stumbled upon a cool app called This We Know, which simplifies government data about your ZIP code — from toxins to demographics.
• File this one under stuff I didn't know: Several tasty and surprising uses for leftover pickle juice.
Plus: Don't miss the week in photos, including a storm on the surface of the sun (see photo, above.)