Our picks for the week of Jan. 31-Feb. 6:
• When is a 13-hour train ride better than a 1-hour plane ride? A guest blogger explains.
• We've compiled a gallery of eco-friendly Valentine's Day gift ideas that won't break your wallet.
• Ashton Kutcher chats with MNN about the green ways of the cast and crew of Valentine's Day.
• Media columnist Ken Edelstein visits with Tea Partiers and advocates for energy efficiency — and comes away with a dizzy feeling.
• And here's something a bit different: Check out this photo gallery of 20 amazing wind farm photos.
• In honor of Groundhog Day, MNN ponders aloud: Why do we think rodents can predict the weather?
• We launched a new feature this week — the best animal images of the month. You can thank us later.
• This week's must-read is the story of a butcher who has transformed from vegetarianism to ethical omnivorism.
PLUS: We like to close on a high note, so you must see this image of a 6-month-old lowland gorilla kickin' back, old-school.
Thumbnail photo of groundhog: Urville Djasim/Flickr