Our picks for the week of July 25-31:
• First we picked 40 chefs worth keeping an eye on across the nation. Now it's your turn. Here are our readers' favorite 40 chefs under 40.
• It's been a steamy summer. Here are six classic summer drinks to keep you cool.
• Science usually sorts out truth from fiction, but here are 15 hoaxes that almost fooled everyone.
• Ken Edelstein makes a historical comparison that may raise your blood pressure. He writes that climate change evokes the battle over slavery. Find out why.
• "Happy-Go-Local": Author Linsly Donnelly shares her tips for taking care of her family and the planet — while maintaining your sanity.
• Fallujah's toxic legacy: The shocking rates of infant mortality and cancer in this Iraqi city raise new questions about chemicals used in battle.
• Green designer Gretchen Jones will be part of this season's "Project Runway" cast.
• And finally, don't miss this gallery of 10 terrifying twisters.
Plus: Don't miss the week in photos, which includes the gorgeous image of a lavender field at sunset (above.)