Free fees at national parks for Veterans Day weekend
From frontier forts to Civil War battlefields, there are more than 70 sites within the national park system that have a direct connection to military personnel or battles. In addition to the free fees, national parks throughout the country will hold special events to mark the Veterans Day holiday. Here are a few events to mark on your calendar:
- Vicksburg National Cemetery will hold evening candlelight tours where visitors will encounter historical personalities.
- Poplar Grove National Cemetery in Petersburg National Battlefield will hold the 7th annual illumination of 6,000 graves.
- Independence National Historical Park will host a Continental soldier encampment.
- Natchez National Historical Park will have a talk on the African American Civil War experience.
- Sagamore Hill National Historic Site will have an exhibit and talks about the Roosevelts in the World Wars.
Additional benefits for veterans on Veterans Day include a free Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area cruise that will pass the USS Constitution on its way to Georges Island, home of Fort Warren. And you can also get free entrance to the Gettysburg National Military Park museum.
The Veterans Day weekend is the last of the National Park Service entrance fee free days for 2012.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.