Watershed Connections: Los Angeles
Quick facts about the Los Angeles water situation from the Blue Planet expedition.
Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:54 PM
Photo: © 2010 Blue Legacy - Oscar Durand
1. Los Angeles is a coastal desert with only 15 inches of rain annually.
2. In fact the Los Angeles Basin accounts for 6 percent of California’s inhabitable land but has over 45 percent of the population.
3. It has been said that L.A. could only support 1 million people on its own water.
4. The six-county area of Southern California imports as much as 60 percent of its water supply.
5. And in some areas as little as 10 percent comes from local sources.
—Text by Jocelyn Pederick, Expedition Blog