Over the years, I've talked to a number of parents who told me they wished they could do more to celebrate Earth Day with their kids, but they just don't have time for a lot of fancy crafts or day-long outdoor activities. Who does?!? Fortunately, there are all kinds of things you can do to commemorate Earth Day with your kids. Here are 22 ideas to get you started:
1. Go for a nature walk.
2. Ride bikes.
3. Have a picnic.
4. Make a paint chip mosiac of the Earth.
5. Serve a vegetable flower snack.
6. Plant a garden.
7. Decorate a recycling box.
8. Pick up litter in your neighborhood or at a local park.
9. Go canoeing.
10. Make a batch of Earth Day cookies.
11. Go wading in a creek.
12. Make an Earth Day suncatcher.
13. Go for a hike in your favorite national park (for FREE!)
14. Create a craft from nature.
15. Read "The Lorax."
16. Build a solar oven (and use it to bake your Earth Day cookies!)
17. Plant a tree.
18. Leave the car at home and walk or bike all day.
19. Buy local.
20. Go meat-free.
21. Turn off the tap.
22. Be outside.
Earth Day means different things to different people. Find what works for your and your family and do it!
Happy Earth Day!
Related on MNN: Earth Day photos celebrates the beauty of our planet