Fall is here! And there is no better time to get outdoors with your kids. If you live on the East Coast, the explosion of fall colors is just around every corner. But the East Coast doesn't have the market cornered when it comes to fall colors. There are beautiful trails to be hiked all over the country. I asked my network of green moms from all over the U.S. for their favorite fall family hikes. Here are seven of our favorites:
1. Bald Peak Trail, Maine. Lori Alper of Groovy Green Livin' and her family love to head north from their hometown of Boston and hike in Maine. Lori recommends Ledges and Bald Peak Trail at Shawnee Peak. "The fall colors are breathtaking and there are various route options for all hiking levels."
2. Aspen Vista, New Mexico. "Most people probably wouldn't associate New Mexico with changing fall foliage, but the autumn is the best time of the year here!" says Gretchen Sowers of Healthful Mama. She recommends the Aspen Vista, which is 13 miles above Santa Fe. According to Gretchen, the trail is just as the name implies: mountainsides full of golden aspens with a backdrop of pine.
3. Forest Park, Oregon. According to Nancy Baldwin, of Surviving and Thriving on Pennies, this spot is "our hidden park in the city of Portland." The city park boasts 19 trails for all ranges of abilities and guided "Discovery Hikes" for kids that are perfect for families or school groups.
4. Natural Bridge, Kentucky. Amity Hook-Sopko of Green Child Magazine recommends this great spot for hiking along the Red River Gorge in Kentucky. The park has a dozen trails that range in length from 0.3 miles to 7.5 miles, so there should be something for everyone in your family.
5. Bear Mountain, New York. Nestled in the Hudson Valley, the beautiful state park has tons of great hiking trails that are absolutely gorgeous in the fall. Karen Lee of ecoKaren, recommends the peak trail, saying "I've gone up to the peak with both of my kids for martial arts training and almost died but it's so worth it!"
6. Glacier Point, California. This beautiful tail in Yosemite National Park is full of amazing fall colors. You can drive to the top or hike there via the 5-mile trail that takes you from the floor of Yosemite Valley to this beautiful overlook.
7. Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. Diane MacEachern of Big Green Purse recommends this great spot for taking in fall colors. "I was there this weekend and it was glorious - and will be more so in about a month when the colors change," said Diane.
Ok, now it's your turn. What is your favorite hike to share with your kids?
Related posts on MNN: