"It's a challenging course. A lot of impact for everyone. Little 15-year-olds are, like, 'I'm not even old and my back is still sore every day. Not even from crashing, just from riding.'"
- Jamie Anderson on the conditions of the slopestyle course following Thursday’s qualification.
Will you be cuddling up to the Olympics
for this long, cold weekend? If so, there are a few Olympians you'll want to keep an eye on during this weekend's events. And Jamie Anderson should be on top of that list.
The 23-year-old snowboarder
from South Lake Tahoe, California rocked it on the slopes in last night's qualifying round, earning her a free pass through Saturday's semi-finals straight to Sunday's final slopestyle event. She'll face some serious competition on Sunday - particularly from Austria’s Anna Gasser, but she still has an excellent chance at gold.
Want to know more about Jamie Anderson? Here are seven facts you'll want to know about this graceful young snowboarder:
1. She has seven brothers and sisters. Actually five sisters and two brothers. And she describes her family, particularly her older sisters, as her inspiration for hitting the slopes.
2. She was homeschooled. And she credits her schooling for giving her plenty of time to get outdoors and experience nature - and hit the slopes!
3. She qualified for the X Games at 13. And she has one four gold medals at those games since 2006. She's also won two silver and two bronze.
4. She won an ESPY. In 2012, Anderson won an ESPY - Excellence in Sports Performance - award - and she considers that one of her greatest lifetime achievements.
5. Her parents call her Jammin' Jamie. Check out this video profile to learn what else her parents call her:
6. She created an eco-conscious clothing company. It's called TYRE -To Respect Your Earth
7. She launched a snowboarding scholarship at her old middle school. Anderson says she did it to help kids who are gifted at snowboarding but lack the funds to get out on the slopes.
Related posts on MNN: