Are you feeling the heat this summer? With temps rocketing above the 100s in many areas, it's a safe bet that most of us are. Never fear...relief is here! Here are seven great ways to beat this summer heat and stay cool when the temps get hot.
1. Drink it in. Summer temps can lead to dehydration faster than you can say "heat wave." Make sure to drink plenty of water to stay cool inside and out.
2. Wear a hat. Protect your face and eyes with a wide-brimmed sun hat.
3. Shade up. Stay in the shade as much as possible when you're outside and keep babies under six months out of direct sunlight.
4. Splish splash! Find some water to splash around in — whether it's your local pool, a beach, or even a backyard sprinkler. A few minutes of splashing can offer hours of summer heat relief.
5. Water play. Turn any backyard game into a water game by adding a bucket of water or a hose and an element of getting wet. Play dodge ball by throwing soaked sponges at one another, hula hoop while holding the hose, or start a game of tag with water guns.
6. Find the A/C. Now is a great time to take kids to a midday matinee, to the library, or for a behind the scenes tour of their favorite ice cream shop!
7. Freeze! Nothing cools kids down faster than a refreshingly cold ice pop. Make your own by freezing plain old fruit juice in popsicle molds or try this quick and easy ice pop-making method using ice cube trays: