Mercury is found in a number of household items like electronics, watch batteries, old-style glass thermometers and fluorescent light bulbs. Because of its toxicity and persistence in the environment, you should never toss any products containing mercury into the waste stream. Even the small amount of mercury found in glass thermometers can be toxic to the environment and your family. So take special care to dispose of these items properly. Contact your local waste management service to find out when and where to dispose of household hazardous waste in your area.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.