Raising baby organically
1 cup cleaned blueberries
¼ cup agave nectar
2 tablespoons water
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 Tablespoons flax meal (you can use blueberry flavored flax)
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 pinch of salt
2 cups organic buttermilk
2 large eggs or 3 small eggs (lightly beaten)
2 tablespoons melted butter
Cooking steps for the Agave Syrup:
Take about half of the basket of fresh blueberries, agave, and water and cook in a saucepan over medium heat around 5 min., until the blueberries start to become soft and breakdown into the mixture.
Pour the mixture into a strainer and push through the juice, leaving behind the blueberry skins.
Add the rest of the fresh blueberries into the syrup mixture, cover and set aside to keep warm.
Cooking steps for the pancakes:
- Blend together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, flaxseed, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a big bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Add buttermilk and melted butter to the egg mixture.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients together.
- Whisk together the ingredients, leaving it a little lumpy.
- In a heated skillet, melt butter.
- Pour batter to make pancake 4 inches round.
- When the pancake starts to bubble up a little bit, flip your pancake. Be careful not to flip too soon, as you will just create a big batter mess.
- Serve warm with the blueberry syrup.
Check out Daulter's blog at Conscious Family for more info.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.