Author of parenting books blogs about raising children and health issues.
Trade in your recalled baby gear
Trade in an old crib, stroller or high chair and get a discount on a new one.
Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 02:00 PM
You never know what you're gonna get when you go to a yard sale. Sure, I'm as tempted by a discount as the next person, but did you know that -- according to the consumer advocacy group Kid in Danger -- less than 30 percent of recalled products are ever returned to the manufacturer? And what about the remaining 70 percent? They remain in circulation, get passed down among family members, and likely wind up as next year's yard sale fodder.
So here's a cool idea. Toys R Us has launched a Great Trade-in Event
where customers can trade in used cribs, car seats, bassinets, strollers, play yards, travel systems, and high chairs for a 20 percent discount on any new one. Of course, if your stuff isn't on the recall list and it's still in working order, it makes sense to keep it or pass it on to friends when you can. If you're not sure, this may be a good way to get potentially unsafe used baby gear out of circulation. Your stuff doesn't have to be on the recall list to quliafy for the discount. If you want to check, search the Consumer Product Safety Commission's list of Recall Announcements and Product Safety Alerts
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.