Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss! That's right, it is the legendary Dr. Seuss' 108th birthday, and kids (and parents) around the country are celebrating with Seuss-themed costumes, snacks, games, and — of course — books. My eldest daughter went to school today dressed as Sally from "The Cat in the Hat," while my youngest seemed to be doing an excellent job of channeling her inner Grinch (she's not a morning person.)
Of course, the best way to celebrate Suess is to pick up a book — any book — and start reading, and if you're reading to a child, that's even better. It's certainly not coincidental that today is also Read Across America Day. So there's never been a better excuse to curl up with a good book. What will you be reading today? I plan to read a few Seussical favorites to my daughters before settling in with "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert Pirsig.
Need help finding a good book? Here's my top 10 list of top 10 books for kids:
2. Booklist's top 10 Eco-books for kids
3. Amazon's list of Best Kids and Teens books for 2011
4. The Guardian's list of Best Children's Books Ever
5. Oprah's Top 10 Books for Babies to 2 years
6. Oprah's Top 10 Books for 3 to 5 years
7. Oprah's Top 10 Books for 6 to 9 years
8. Oprah's Top 10 Books for 10 to 12 years
9. Oprah's Top 10 Books for 12 and up
10. National Education Association's 100 Best Books
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.