That is how Julie Chu describes her family philosophy and her work ethic. Easy enough to remember as it's modeled after her last name. And with such a mantra, it's no wonder that this 31-year-old veteran forward is making a name for herself as a member of the team to beat in women's ice hockey at this year's Olympic Games in Sochi.
How did Chu find her way into the unlikely world of women's ice hockey? Especially since that world didn't even really exist when she was a kid?
When Chu was 8 years old, she and her sister signed up for figure skating lessons, but as she explains in this interview with ESPN, she wasn't the most graceful of skaters, and she couldn't do any of the moves. But she was impressed with what she saw happening on the other side of the rink — boys playing ice hockey. As Chu tells it, "I remember wanting that camaraderie, wanting to be part of something more dynamic and fun. It only took me two months to ditch figure skating and switch to hockey."
Chu has taken home a medal every year she has competed in the Olympics — silver in 2002 and 2010 and bronze in 2006. The U.S. hasn't brought home a gold in women's ice hockey since the sport's inaugural event at the Olympics in 1998. But this year, Chu hopes to change that as she reaches for that elusive gold medal.
Want to know more about this A-list All Star as you follow her journey at this year's Olympics? Here are six fun facts about Julie Chu:
1. This is her fourth Olympic games — and that's something considering that women's ice hockey didn't exist at the Olympic level until 1998.
2. She has a celebrity crush on Will Smith.
3. She deferred her acceptance into Harvard so that she could compete in the 2002 Olympic games.
4. She went on to graduate with honors.
5. She currently holds the NCAA points record for her time at Harvard University.
6. Favorite sports movies? "Rudy." (And of course, "The Might Ducks!"
Related posts on MNN:
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.