What do you know about cats?
What do you know about cats?
Score: 0 18
Question: 0 of 18
Your clothes are covered in fur, your cabinets are stocked with canned cat food, and you haven't been to the bathroom alone in years. It's obvious you love cats, but how much do you really know about them? Put your feline knowledge to the test.
Start the Quiz
Q: Most kittens are born with what color eyes?
Most kittens are born with blue eyes, but the color often changes. By the time the kitten is 5 weeks old, it will have its permanent eye color.
Q: Name the box-obsessed Japanese feline that's become a YouTube star.
Maru, a Scottish Fold cat with more than 400,000 YouTube subscribers, is one of the most famous felines on the Web.
- Nyan Cat
- Grumpy Cat
- Lil Bub
Q: Which one of these is not a reason that cats purr?
Experts think purring is likely a means of communication and a form of self-healing. Cats purr when they're happy, but they also purr when they’re frightened or feel threatened, such as during a visit to the veterinarian.
- To communicate with humans
- To show possession of territory
- To express fear or nerves
- To heal themselves
Q: In late 2013, scientists proved something that cat owners have long known to be true. What was it?
After observing 20 cats for eight months, scientists determined that cats are capable of recognizing their owners' voices, but the felines usually choose to ignore their calls.
- Cats recognize their owners' voices, but they choose to ignore them.
- Cats are more intelligent than dogs.
- Cats consider themselves to be the head of the household.
- Cats with white fur are instinctively drawn to black clothing.
Q: What breed of cat loves water so much that it has earned the nickname 'Swimming Cat'?
Turkish Vans have silky fur that's naturally water-repellant, allowing them to emerge from the water relatively dry.
- Turkish Van
Q: What shocking piece of information did a Reddit user reveal about a popular cat meme in 2010?
The Reddit user pointed out that a section of the original Ceiling Cat photo has a skirting board, proving that the cat is really inside of a hole in a wall and not the ceiling.
- Business Cat's collar and tie were Photoshopped.
- Grumpy Cat doesn't actually 'frown' all the time.
- Ceiling Cat isn't actually looking through a hole in the ceiling.
- Keyboard cat was filmed 'playing' bongos long before he took up keyboard.
Q: 'Cat Island,' a small island with more felines than people, is located in which country?
Tashirojima is a small island in Miyagi Prefecture, Japan, that is home to about 100 permanent residents and hundreds upon hundreds of cats.
- South Korea
Q: Why are cats drawn to boxes?
Cats are instinctively drawn to boxes because they offer security. The confined space provides protection from predators, and it’s a great place to stalk prey while remaining virtually unseen.
- They're instinctively curious and want to know what's inside.
- Cardboard contains trace amounts of catnip, which attracts them.
- The confined space gives them a sense of security.
- They're emulating Maru in hopes of gaining Internet fame.
Q: Which of these is not a proper way to refer to a group of cats?
A group of cats can be referred to as a clowder, pounce or glaring. A group of kittens can be called a kindle, litter or intrigue.
- A glaring
- A warren
- A clowder
- A pounce
Q: What's the name of the one-eyed kitten who donned a pirate costume to raise money for charity?
The 6-week-old kitten was found on the streets of Oregon with a missing eye and a disfigured jaw. Prints of his pirate photo are sold to benefit the shelter that rescued him.
- Colonel Meow
- Sir Stuffington
- Lil Bub
Q: Two members of what British rock band penned songs for their cats?
Frontman Freddie Mercury wrote "Delilah" about his tortoise shell cat, and guitarist Brian May wrote "All Dead, All Dead" about coming to terms with the death of his childhood cat.
- The Beatles
- The Who
Q: A cat is most likely to land on its feet in which scenario?
Felines that fall from heights greater than five floors tend to suffer less-severe injuries. The longer freefall gives cats more time to right themselves and to position their bodies correctly.
- If the cat falls from a distance of less than 10 feet
- If the cat falls during daylight hours
- If the cat falls from a distance of more than five floors
- If a piece of buttered toast is attached to the cat's back
Q: The CIA attempted to transform a cat into a bugging device. What was the name of the operation?
In 1961, the CIA attempted to surgically alter a cat — complete with an antenna tail — to eavesdrop on conversations. Unfortunately, the first "acoustic kitty" was released outside a Soviet compound in Washington, D.C., and promptly killed by a taxi.
- Operation Nine Lives
- Operation Whisker Wire
- Operation Frisky
- Operation Acoustic Kitty
Q: What was the name of the cat owned by the Clintons that had his own page on the White House website?
Socks often received letters from fans, and Republican Rep. Dan Burton of Indiana once publicly questioned the use of White House staff and postage to answer mail addressed to the cat.
- Bill Jr.
Q: What breed of feline holds the Guinness World Record for longest cat?
Andy Barron, Reno Gazette-Journal/AP
A Maine coon named Stewie measured 48.5 inches long from the tip of his nose to the end of his tail bone. Stewie died in February 2013.
- Selkirk Rex
- Maine coon
Q: The calico cat is the offical cat of which U.S. state?
Maryland designated the calico as its official state cat in 2001. The feline's colors of orange, black and white are shared with the Baltimore oriole and the Baltimore Checkerspot butterfly.
- North Dakota
Q: What scent do zookeepers often use to help spice up the love lives of endangered big cats?
Obsession has proved to be an exciting scent for a variety of big cats. It increases the amount of time cats explore their territory and encourages social interaction — namely, mating.
- New car scent
- Calvin Klein's Obsession
Q: Who's credited with creating the first lolcat?
During the 1870s, Pointer arranged cats in a variety of unusual photos that mimicked human activities. Pointer’s photos were uncaptioned at first, but he realized that his images were more amusing with a handwritten caption.
- I Can Has Cheezburger founder Eric Nakagawa
- Photographer Harry Pointer
- Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak
- An anonymous Web user
Your score makes Grumpy Cat even grumpier.You must be more of a dog person.That was almost 'purrfect.'You can haz high score!
OUR FAVORITE STORIES
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 7 nutrient deficiencies that can make you sick
- Watch a woman tackle new year weight loss with inspiring time-lapse video
- Too beautiful to be real? 16 surreal landscapes found on Earth
- 13 surprising home remedies for acid reflux
- Why morning people are happier than night owls
- 22 surprising uses for turmeric
- What will humans look like in 100,000 years?
- 10 natural cough remedies
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- 12 health benefits of apple cider vinegar