What do you know about cats?
Score: 0 18
Question: 0 of 18
Question: 0 of 18
Score: 0 18
Most kittens are born with blue eyes, but the color often changes. By the time the kitten is 5 weeks old, it will have its permanent eye color.
Maru, a Scottish Fold cat with more than 400,000 YouTube subscribers, is one of the most famous felines on the Web.
- Nyan Cat
- Grumpy Cat
- Lil Bub
Experts think purring is likely a means of communication and a form of self-healing. Cats purr when they're happy, but they also purr when they’re frightened or feel threatened, such as during a visit to the veterinarian.
- To communicate with humans
- To show possession of territory
- To express fear or nerves
- To heal themselves
After observing 20 cats for eight months, scientists determined that cats are capable of recognizing their owners' voices, but the felines usually choose to ignore their calls.
- Cats recognize their owners' voices, but they choose to ignore them.
- Cats are more intelligent than dogs.
- Cats consider themselves to be the head of the household.
- Cats with white fur are instinctively drawn to black clothing.
Turkish Vans have silky fur that's naturally water-repellant, allowing them to emerge from the water relatively dry.
- Turkish Van
The Reddit user pointed out that a section of the original Ceiling Cat photo has a skirting board, proving that the cat is really inside of a hole in a wall and not the ceiling.
- Business Cat's collar and tie were Photoshopped.
- Grumpy Cat doesn't actually 'frown' all the time.
- Ceiling Cat isn't actually looking through a hole in the ceiling.
- Keyboard cat was filmed 'playing' bongos long before he took up keyboard.
Tashirojima is a small island in Miyagi Prefecture, Japan, that is home to about 100 permanent residents and hundreds upon hundreds of cats.
- South Korea
Cats are instinctively drawn to boxes because they offer security. The confined space provides protection from predators, and it’s a great place to stalk prey while remaining virtually unseen.
- They're instinctively curious and want to know what's inside.
- Cardboard contains trace amounts of catnip, which attracts them.
- The confined space gives them a sense of security.
- They're emulating Maru in hopes of gaining Internet fame.
A group of cats can be referred to as a clowder, pounce or glaring. A group of kittens can be called a kindle, litter or intrigue.
- A glaring
- A warren
- A clowder
- A pounce
The 6-week-old kitten was found on the streets of Oregon with a missing eye and a disfigured jaw. Prints of his pirate photo are sold to benefit the shelter that rescued him.
- Colonel Meow
- Sir Stuffington
- Lil Bub
Frontman Freddie Mercury wrote "Delilah" about his tortoise shell cat, and guitarist Brian May wrote "All Dead, All Dead" about coming to terms with the death of his childhood cat.
- The Beatles
- The Who
Felines that fall from heights greater than five floors tend to suffer less-severe injuries. The longer freefall gives cats more time to right themselves and to position their bodies correctly.
- If the cat falls from a distance of less than 10 feet
- If the cat falls during daylight hours
- If the cat falls from a distance of more than five floors
- If a piece of buttered toast is attached to the cat's back
In 1961, the CIA attempted to surgically alter a cat — complete with an antenna tail — to eavesdrop on conversations. Unfortunately, the first "acoustic kitty" was released outside a Soviet compound in Washington, D.C., and promptly killed by a taxi.
- Operation Nine Lives
- Operation Whisker Wire
- Operation Frisky
- Operation Acoustic Kitty
Socks often received letters from fans, and Republican Rep. Dan Burton of Indiana once publicly questioned the use of White House staff and postage to answer mail addressed to the cat.
- Bill Jr.
A Maine coon named Stewie measured 48.5 inches long from the tip of his nose to the end of his tail bone. Stewie died in February 2013.
- Selkirk Rex
- Maine coon
Maryland designated the calico as its official state cat in 2001. The feline's colors of orange, black and white are shared with the Baltimore oriole and the Baltimore Checkerspot butterfly.
- North Dakota
Obsession has proved to be an exciting scent for a variety of big cats. It increases the amount of time cats explore their territory and encourages social interaction — namely, mating.
- New car scent
- Calvin Klein's Obsession
During the 1870s, Pointer arranged cats in a variety of unusual photos that mimicked human activities. Pointer’s photos were uncaptioned at first, but he realized that his images were more amusing with a handwritten caption.
- I Can Has Cheezburger founder Eric Nakagawa
- Photographer Harry Pointer
- Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak
- An anonymous Web user
OUR FAVORITE STORIES
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Little girl feeds crows; in return, they bring her gifts
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- When zombie apocalypse comes, head for the Rockies
- 22 words you're probably saying wrong
- 15 famous people who mysteriously disappeared
- 7 cultural concepts we don't have in the U.S.
- The Barefoot Farmer grows more than food
- Where do urban foxes and coyotes live?
- What your blood type says about you
- How to survive a bear attack