Wal-Mart Stores announced yesterday that it is pulling a batch of powdered infant formula from more than 3,000 of its stores after a baby in Missouri became ill and died from a suspected bacterial infection after ingesting the formula.  


A few days ago, 10-day-old Avery Cornett of Lebanon, Mo., died after being taken off life support. The baby's preliminary diagnosis was infection from a rare bacterium called Cronobacter sakazakii. 


Dianna Gee, spokeswomen for Wal-Mart, said in a statement that the mega-retailer decided to pull the lot "out of an abundance of caution" while health officials investigate Avery's death.


There has not been an official government recall for the forumla, but Wal-Mart announced that costumers with 12.5-ounce cans of Enfamil Newborn powder with the lot number ZP1K7G, should bring the formula in for an exchange or refund.


The formula's manufacturer, Mead Johnson Nutrition, says the batch tested negative for the bacterium. But the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration will test the batch of forumla given to baby Avery shortly before he became ill. An official recall will hinge on the results of these tests.

The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.