The leading cause of fires in the home is cooking. Anyone who took home economics in school knows the rules, but let’s review. Keep kids away from stoves and ovens in use. Keep pan handles turned away from the front of the stove where you might knock into them or children may grab them. Keep a fire extinguisher handy, but never use it on a grease fire. If grease catches fire in a pan, a fire extinguisher or water can cause the flaming grease to leap out of the pan onto surrounding walls and floor. Instead, turn off the burner and use a lid or cookie sheet to smother the flames. Don’t try to lift or carry the flaming pan, as you may spill the fire onto other surfaces.