Life, unfortunately, doesn't give us guarantees that we'll always be around to provide for our loved ones. That's where life insurance can help. It helps provide some financial security in the event of the unthinkable – and gives you the peace of mind knowing that, regardless of what happens, your family will be supported.
How much do you need?
- Whether you're married or single, it's good to know that your finances will be resolved if you should die unexpectedly. That could mean paying off loans or a mortgage, and it's especially important if you have a lot of debt or want your family to keep living in your home.
- You'll also want to know that your family's financial needs will be covered if you're no longer able to provide for them. You'll need the most life insurance when your kids are growing - enough to last them until they become adults and cover their college education. This is even more important if you're the main breadwinner.
- The general rule for life insurance is that your policy should pay your beneficiaries seven times your annual salary. The idea is that as your salary changes, your family's lifestyle changes to match. If you're self-employed or own a business, you might also have business-related expenses to cover.
The right solution for you
- Term insurance: With term insurance, you buy a policy for an affordable monthly cost, known as a premium, based on your personal health history and age. Coverage lasts from one year to as many as 30 years, and your monthly premium will not change during the policy period. If something were to happen to you while your policy is in force, your beneficiaries would receive a lump-sum payment to help them take care of expenses. Learn more >
- Permanent Insurance: Whether you're starting a new life with your spouse or partner, buying your first home, changing diapers or a single parent, you want to know that your life insurance will be there to help provide for your family if something were to happen to you. The good news is that's what permanent life insurance can do. It’s designed to go for your entire lifetime, and can earn additional cash value. Learn more >
- GoodForLife: We all go through life hoping for the best and hoping we stay healthy. But who would pay the bills if you couldn't work? Planning ahead with GoodForLife can make the answers easier. This unique solution bundles the protection of life insurance with critical illness and severe accident benefits in one simple policy. GoodForLife protects, pays, forgives and gives, whether life goes well or not so well. Learn more >