Carbon monoxide: What is it, where is it?
Winter weather can present an unseen, unexpected risk: Carbon monoxide poisoning.
Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 05:45 PM
Carbon monoxide, an odorless and colorless gas, is a byproduct of combustion — an oil-fired furnace, a gasoline generator. When levels of carbon monoxide emissions build up in an enclosed space, the gas can cause sudden illness and death.
Carbon monoxide poisoning causes about 500 accidental deaths a year, according to a study by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The highest number of deaths are recorded in January — the depth of winter when many people improperly heat their home. More than 20,000 carbon monoxide poisoning victims visit the emergency room each year and more than 4,000 are hospitalized, according to the CDC. Some safety advocates claim the totals are likely much higher because the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning mimic a wide range of health problems.
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. High levels of carbon monoxide are lethal. Many victims die in their sleep without experiencing symptoms.
Winter weather presents a higher risk of carbon monoxide poisoning because that's when people crank up the furnace to stay warm. A gas, oil or coal burning furnace that isn’t operating efficiently, or isn’t properly vented, can leak carbon monoxide into the home. People who burn charcoal or turn up the burners of a gas stove to stay warm are also at risk.
When an ice storm knocks out the electricity, people who use portable generators may be pumping carbon monoxide into the house.
Carbon monoxide safety
The CDC offers these tips to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:
Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
Install a battery-operated or battery back-up carbon monoxide detector and replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds leave your home immediately and call 911.
Seek prompt medical attention if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.
Don't use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window.
Don't run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
Don't burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn't vented.
Don't heat your house with a gas oven.
Related posts on MNN:
You Might Also Like