I am officially allowing the words “last-minute” to enter my vocabulary this week. I started getting PR e-mails right after Thanksgiving that wanted me to make you panic about the lack of shopping time. I saw no reason to panic.
There still isn’t a reason to panic, but there is a reason to get to that shopping. Christmas is only five days away. You can still get your shopping done, especially if you choose local gifts like these:
- CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) membership
- Cooking class at a local cooking school/store
- Bottle of dessert wine from a local winery
- A growler of beer from a local brew pub
- Tickets to a walking food tour in a nearby city
- A gift certificate to a local, independent restaurant that supports local farms
- Real maple syrup
- Locally made cheese
- A local restaurant’s cookbook. (Most restaurants that have cookbooks sell them at the restaurant.)
- A pound of coffee from your local, independent coffee house — if it’s locally roasted coffee, all the better.