The occasional warm days like we've had recently have me getting ready for summer! I don't drink soda pop or other highly sweetened drinks, but I certainly love a refreshing drink for a hot day. Here are 10 of my favorites.
1. Iced Chamomile Lavender Tea: This combination is good both hot and cold. Sweetened with honey, the floral taste is both relaxing and refreshing.
2. Iced Green Rooibos Tea: Have you heard of green rooibos? Unlike red rooibos, green rooibos is not fermented. It reminds me somewhat of a non-bitter green tea. It has very high antioxidant levels too.
3. Pineapple Cilantro Lime Juice: This fresh juice is ultra refreshing and perfect first thing in the morning or in the afternoon. (Recipe photo featured at top of this post).
4. Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie: As strange as it sounds, the combination of peanut or almond butter, bananas, coconut cream or milk, and vanilla makes a delicious sweet, protein-rich drink!
6. Creamy Iced Jasmine Green Tea: Another favorite of mine, both iced and hot.
7. Creamy Iced Coffee (caffeine-, dairy- and sugar-free): Okay, so Portland will hate me for calling this herbal brew "coffee," but this is still a yummy, refreshing drink. (For the record, I like the real thing too!)
9. Chocolate Milk "Frappé" (free of dairy and refined sugar): Not a true "frappé," this kid-friendly drink is a very icy chocolate milk. Now the kids have no reason to envy their parent's drink!
9. Mango Orange Smoothie: This combination of mango, orange and banana, is one of my favorite smoothie blends!
10: Kombucha, Water Kefir and Coconut Kefir: These naturally fermented drinks quench thirst, give a healthy boost of probiotics, and are delicious too! You can buy many different brands of kombucha in stores now, and a brand, Kevita, is making a type of water kefir and coconut kefir for the market. Because they are naturally bubbly, they also make a good substitute for soda pop. You can also learn to make your own!
Related healthy beverage stories on MNN: