When we have a big party, we break out the wedding wine glasses. My father was working for Wheaton glass when I got married, and he made us wine glasses with our names and the date for our wedding favors. He also had four dozen extra made, so we would have them for entertaining our whole lives.
I have several wine glass charms that I attach to the stem of each glass so that our guests know exactly which “Robin and Brian, July 17, 1993” glass is theirs. My charms are pretty standard and boring. Each silver-colored charm is some sort of food or drink. (I always use the wedge of brie charm.) If you look on Etsy, you can find charms with a lot more, um, charm than mine. Here are some that caught my attention.
Chalkboard wine glass charms
– Scrabble tiles are painted with chalkboard paint so that each person can write his initials or draw a little picture to quickly identify his wine glass. ($15 for set of 6)
Glass marble wine glass charms
– These are very pretty wine glass charms made from copper wire, freshwater pearls and glass marbles. ($15 for set of 4)
Rudolph bottle cap wine glass charms
– I admit, I geeked out a little when I saw these charms. They’re both tacky and awesome at the same time. These charms are made from bottle caps with pictures of characters from “Rudoph the Red Nosed Reindeer.” There are only four different charms, but if you need more, you could combine them with the charms featuring scenes from “A Christmas Story
.” ($8.99 for set of 4)
Typewriter key wine glass charms
– Vintage black typewriter keys have been turned into fun charms. The seller has other sets, and since it’s typewriter key has a different symbol on it, no two sets are the same. ($35 for set of 4)
Custom wine glass charms
– These aluminum disk charms are hand stamped with the words of your choosing so you can create a set that is uniquely personal. ($60 for set of 12)
Many sellers on Etsy have a limited quantity of their items for sale – sometimes only one of something. If these wine glass charms interest you, but aren’t available when you check them out, don’t worry. There are thousands of other handmade wine glass charms on Etsy’s site. You’re sure to find something that fits your style.