I recently worked with Fair Trade USA on a project and received a bunch of samples to enjoy. One of them was a canister of Lake Champlain Chocolates’ Traditional
Hot Chocolate Mix. We finally got the opportunity to try it today, and boy, is it delicious! I thought it was worth sharing about here.
Here are some thoughts on it.
- It uses fair trade cocoa powder and organic sugar!
- If you love the taste of hot cocoa packets, this is for you. It tastes so similar to the flavor of the ones from my childhood! I think the reason why is the Dutch cocoa powder they used, which has been processed with alkali for a smoother, less bitter flavor.
- I love that you can use whatever milk you’d like. We tried it with almond milk, and it was delicious.
- It stirs into the milk very easily, unlike when making hot cocoa from scratch.
- It’s convenient and easy to use.
- The cocoa won’t contain as many antioxidants since it uses Dutch chocolate (the process removes some of the antioxidant value).
- You can’t control sugar content because it’s already mixed in. I usually make my own with lower amounts of sweetener. With a mix you don’t have the flexibility.
- While you can use whatever milk you’d like, it does say on the can that it can contain trace amounts of dairy and soy, so if you are really sensitive or allergic, this may not be the product for you.
Related Content on Mnn.com: