The Fourth of July is the perfect time for cocktails made with seasonal fruits , and blueberries are bursting right now. I was intrigued enough when Maker’s Mark sent me a recipe for a cocktail made with its Maker’s 46 Kentucky bourbon, fresh blueberries and elderflower liqueur.
The flavors of the blueberry, the caramel of the Maker’s 46, and the sweet floweriness of the elderflower liqueur come together to make a slightly sweet, smooth drink with slight effervescence from a little added club soda. The blueberry is what I taste at first sip, and then the botanicals of the liqueur came through, and finally the sweetness of the bourbon stayed with me.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yields: 1 serving
The Blueberry 46 Sparkler
- 2 ounces Maker’s 46, or other Kentucky bourbon
- 1 ounce elderflower liqueur, such as St-Germain
- 10 fresh blueberries
- Splash of club soda
- Extra blueberries for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the blueberries and St-Germain together.
- Fill with ice and add the Maker’s 46.
- Shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
- Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice.
- Top with a splash of club soda.
- Add a few blueberries on top for garnish.
Wine, beer and spirits disclaimer : I am not paid by any producer of wine, beer or spirits to write about their product, although the company may provide me with a sample of the product. I am not a professional reviewer of wine, beer or spirits. I'll write about the product if it's something that I like and if I think the producer is working toward making the product in an environmentally friendlier fashion.
Related on MNN:
- How can I help my anxious dog handle Fourth of July festivities
- Healthy Fourth of July recipes
- 4th of July Red, White and Blue Quinoa Salad