We have 11 days left until Valentine’s Day. It’s time to start thinking about what to get your sweetheart if you haven’t already. Here are my top five picks for sustainable Valentine’s Day gifts (meaning the top five things I’d like to receive this Valentine’s Day). This list is skewed toward females, but you can find a few items that a man would like, too.
- Derry Church Artisan Chocolates – If you’ve got a local, sustainable chocolatier near you, I suggest you support that business for Valentine’s Day. If you don’t, I highly recommend you order from Derry Church. I reviewed these chocolates made from sustainable cocoa and local organic creams and butters last summer, and they are some of the best chocolates I've ever eaten.
- Jewelry from Fair Indigo – I love just about every piece of jewelry sold at Fair Indigo. If you are unfamiliar with Fair Indigo, they sell clothes, accessories and gifts made in facilities that pay fair and meaningful wages, not the minimum wages that dominate the industry. The products are often from mission-oriented companies with socially responsible values: fair trade, ecologically responsible or recycled materials, support of impoverished craftspeople, and local production (meaning made in the U.S.). Check out the rest of Fair Indigo’s offerings to find ideas for men.
- Membership in a Wine CSA – CSA stands for community supported agriculture, and many wineries have started using this method that was traditionally used by farmers. A CSA allows you to buy a share in the winery for a specific period of time. You invest money upfront, and you are paid back in wine several times a year.
- Organic Bubble Bath – There’s nothing like soaking in a hot tub filled with bubbles. I don’t get to do it very often, but a nice Valentine’s treat would be a tub filled with lavender bubbles, a glass of wine and an hour to read a book while soaking.
- Organic Flowers – I know that roses are the traditional Valentine’s Day flower, and I wouldn’t mind them, but if I could pick, I’d chose a bouquet of Gerbera daisies. Organic Bouquet offers roses, daisies and more. Take a look at this Pink Petit Bouquet that is lovely, very romantic, and quite reasonably priced at $29.99.
Do you have any sustainable Valentine's Day gifts to add to the list?
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.