Weekend reads: Wines to toast Oscar with, Easy Bake Ovens, and more
- Snooth has a fun slide show this week on wines to drink during the Oscars this Sunday night. They suggest Black Swan wine, wine from John Lasseter’s family winery and others that fit the best movie theme.
- I generally agree with this Yahoo post on What to buy and what to skip at Trader Joe’s.
- Mark Bittman’s most recent opinion piece for The New York Times discusses all that’s wrong with McDonald’s oatmeal, including asking a great question, “Why is it more expensive than a double cheeseburger?”
- What will happen to the Easy Bake Oven when incandescent light bulbs (the heat source for baking cakes and cookies in the oven) are a thing of the past? Chicago Breaking News says Hasbro is creating a new oven that uses a different heat source.
- Enjoy your weekend!
- This is interesting. In a report on parents that allow their children to drink alcohol at home, Time says that researchers found “when parents actually drink with their teens at dinner or in a religious context … it is associated with lower levels of alcohol problems.”
- The New York Times is reporting that PepsiCo is working directly with farmers in Mexico to buy their corn instead of going through a middleman. The arrangement has many advantages for the farmers and their families, but it also has several advantages for the beverage giant, too.
Image: Matt Callow
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.