As you're sitting down to watch the Academy Awards on Sunday, you may want to take the celebrity route and drink some bubbly, or you may want to drink a margarita while you watch Neil Patrick Harris host the big night for the first time. (Personally, I think this is a gig he was born to do.)
Feb. 22 is National Margarita Day, giving everyone a good reason to squeeze some fresh limes and grab a bottle of tequila. You can use George Clooney’s Casamigos brand. The do-gooding A-lister donates the profits from the sales to fund a satellite that captures real-time “imagery of potential threats to civilians along both sides of the Sudanese border.” Or, you can use a certified organic tequila like Casa Noble. Of course, you can always use your favorite tequila, too.
My good friends Teresa and Challey are the master margarita makers of our group. They keep it simple with good, fresh ingredients. I asked if I could share how they do it. This recipe makes three or four drinks, depending on the size of the glass.
- 4 fresh limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup Cointreau
- 1/4 cup triple sec
- 2/3 to 1 cup tequila (depending on how strong you want it)
- simple syrup for the rim of the glass
- salt for the rim of the glass
- Pour simple syrup onto a small plate, one that’s slightly larger than the rim of your margarita glass
- Pour salt onto a second small plate
- Dip rim of the margarita glasses into the simple syrup and then into the salt
- Add ice, or not, to the margarita glasses; it’s your call
- Fill a shaker with ice
- Add lime juice, Cointreau, triple sec, and tequila to the shaker. Shake until nice and cold.
- Pour into glasses.
- Orange Margarita
- Margarita Popsicle (scroll down to the "Holidazed" link to find the recipe)
- Sparkling Grapefruit Margarita
Related on MNN: