Praise the saints for the blessings of fresh tomatoes put to a higher purpose other than salad.
- 3 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes, quartered
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 white onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces vodka, or to taste
- 2 trays ice
- 4 sticks celery, optional garnish
Total time: 20 minutes, plus 1 hour refrigeration
- Cut fresh ingredients to size. Juice. Makes about 4 cups. Pour into pitcher. Add salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to fuse.
- Stir contents. Pour juice into tall ice-filled glasses. Add 1 ounce vodka to each glass. Stir before serving.
Yield: 4 cups