You can use any surplus cranberries to make this boozy concoction.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: About 20 shots
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries
- 1 orange rind
- 2 cloves
- 3 cups mid- to low-priced vodka
- Combine sugar, water and extract in a saucepan. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a low boil, about 6 minutes. Add cranberries and cook until berries begin to split and liquid turns a light pink, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and cover. Allow to cool.
- While liquid is cooling, remove orange rind using a potato peeler. Gently pull skin away from the pith in wide strips. Place rind into a 2-quart wide-mouthed jar with a tight fitting lid. Add cloves. Gently pour cranberry mixture into jar. Add vodka. Seal and store in a cool, dark place for up to two weeks, shaking the bottle gently periodically.
- Strain contents through metal sieve into a clean bottle for storage. Store in a cool dark place to mellow. Serve in shot glasses or cocktails.