Limoncello is alchemy in a bottle. The combination of 80 proof vodka infused with lemon peel produces an aromatic, sweet liquor that can be mixed in cocktails, or even poured over vanilla ice cream. Yum!
Prep time: 30 minutes plus aging.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 4 lemons with thick skins
- 3 cups vodka
- To make simple syrup, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 cup of white granulated sugar until dissolved. Set aside to cool before refrigerating. *
- Zest lemons. Using a potato peeler, carefully remove the outer layer of skin, avoiding the white pith.
- Place peels into a large glass container with 2 cups of vodka. Shake well. Let stand in a dark place for 72 hours.
- Strain peels to remove impurities. Add simple syrup. Add strained peels.
- Let stand in a dark place for 36 hours. Filter contents into decorative glassware.