Arroz con Pollo
The typical Spanish method of cooking rice, used for the many varieties of paella as well as for this more prosaic chicken and rice dish, is in a shallow pan that maximizes the exposure of the rice grains to flavorful stock and spices.
Sun, Oct 18 2009 at 3:06 PM
Arroz con Pollo
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 chicken legs, divided into thighs and drumsticks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, diced.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 red or green peppers, roasted, peeled and diced
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- Leaves from 2 sprigs thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 cups Spanish or Italian short-grain rice
- 6 to 8 cups hot unsalted chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 45 min
Total time: 55 min
Heat the oil in a metal paella pan or flameproof earthenware cazuela over medium heat.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook it in the oil until golden.
Remove and set aside.
Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion begins to color.
Add the tomatoes, peppers, beans and thyme and cook 10 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
Crumble in the saffron, then stir in the rice, coating it well with the oil.
Add the hot stock and salt, bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice begins to swell and absorb the liquid, 7 to 10 minutes.
Arrange the chicken pieces on top of the rice and bake uncovered for 15 minutes, or until the rice has nearly absorbed the liquid.
Remove from the oven, cover with a kitchen towel, and let stand 10 minutes.
Which beer should I drink with this?
Pale ale or Pilsner
Good to know
A short-grain Spanish rice such as Valencia will give the most authentic flavor and texture, but the more widely available Italian arborio will also give good results.
Also from The Microbrew Lover's Cookbook:
The Microbrew Lover’s Cookbook
From The Microbrew Lover’s Cookbook, Copyright © 2002 by Jay Harlow. Used by arrangement with Jay Harlow.
Photo: sea turtle/Flickr
You might also like: