Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Yield: 1 pitcher
- 1/2 pound fresh strawberries
- 1 apple
- 1 ounce fresh whole basil leaves
- 1 bottle Cline Cellar Cool Climate Chardonnay
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 1 cup club soda
- 1 cup white grape juice
- Trim and thinly slice the strawberries.
- Slice and dice the apple into very small bits.
- Score the basil leaves with a fork. I did this instead of cutting the leaves into strips as I did not want my guests choking on basil while trying to enjoy this drink. Just rub the basil leaves gently with a fork in order to release their flavor in the sangria.
- Layer the fruit, sugar and basil in a large pitcher and let sit for about 10 minutes. This is just to let the sugar absorb the juices from the basil and the fruit. You'll see it turn a bit red.
- Add the club soda first and then the remaining liquids. Stir well and serve.
Check out a video for this recipe below:
This story was originally written for TreeHugger. Copyright 2012.
Photo credits: Sangria, strawberries: Jerry James Stone