10 food trends from Natural Products Expo East
Photo: Robin Shreeves
- Popcorn – Popcorn in all flavors was huge. Plain salted, sweet Kettle, cheddar, caramel and more – some organic, some all-natural.
- Eggs – I was surprised at how many vendors were displaying eggs. Cage-free seemed to be the big buzzword at most of the tables.
- Raw foods – I saw many more products described as “raw” this year than last year.
- Kombucha – Most of the vendors showing off the fermented tea were boasting their versions as more appealing to the taste buds than the stuff made at home.
- Pet food – Our furry friends are getting in on the natural and organic movement.
- Hummus – Although it’s easy to make your own hummus, the variety of flavors at the expo was impressive.
- Kale – It was big at last year’s expo, and it was still big at this year’s.
- Beef jerky – The dried and cured meat is popular. In my press bag there was even a sample of dried bison.
- Coconut water – It was everywhere.
- Non-GMO – Last year, there were some products that made the non-GMO claim; this year not only were there many more, there were several that displayed a sign saying they are in the process of becoming non-GMO verified. Last year, when I would ask about GMOs in products, several of the vendors had no idea. This year, there was only one vendor who didn’t have a knowledgeable answer about genetically modified ingredients in their product.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.