The other day I eco-upped three hot alcoholic drink recipes. While searching for recipes, I found so many good ones that I thought I’d try my hand with three more.
Mulled tea with red wine
This sounds like a great drink to sip while you’re sitting by the fire curled up with a good book.
- 8 ounces of prepared strong black organic tea
- 2 1/2 ounces organic sugar
- 16 ounces of organic or local red wine
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- One cinnamon stick
- Rind of one lemon
- Boil the tea, lemon rind, sugar, cinnamon and cloves together until the sugar dissolves. Add the red wine and bring to a boil.
- Strain out cinnamon stick and the rind.
- Add more sugar if desired.
Hot gin toddy
A toddy is a drink that is traditionally consumed to help one get a better night’s sleep. This one is made with gin, and I was pleased to see that there are a few organic gins on the market now.
- 1 1/4 oz organic gin such as Tru2 or CapRock
- 3/4 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 oz boiling water
- 1 tsp organic sugar
- cinnamon stick for garnish
- Place all ingredients except cinnamon stick in a wine goblet or other glass that can withstand boiling water.
- Stir well.
If you need warm drinks for a group, a hot punch will do the trick. After making this punch, you can transfer it to a slow cooker to stay warm.
- 1 cup rum – Papagayo makes an organic rum
- 4 cups organic or local apple cider
- 1 cup organic cranberry juice
- 1 cup organic orange juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 oranges
- 4 cloves
Insert cloves into center of orange slices.
Combine all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a simmer. Do not boil.
recipe adapted from Food Network
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.