5 reasons to attend your local farmers market opening day
- Your purchases help infuse the farmers and other local food producers with some much needed cash. The market season is when many local food producers bring in some extra money. Many of them have a pretty lean cash flow in winter. The money they take home after the first farmers market is particularly welcome.
- You’ll connect with your community. Spring brings several opportunities to connect with others in your community after being cooped up all winter. If you have kids, spring sports are one of those opportunities. The farmers market is another opportunity. Like I mentioned above, I run into people all the time at the market – many of them I only see when I’m there unless I make a conscious effort to get together with them.
- You’ll want to plant something – even if it’s just an herb in a pot. The first week of the farmers market usually has the biggest variety and best prices of starter plants. I’m always amazed by the great prices on organic starters I can get at the farmers market, but the plants go fast. Get there early on the first day for the best selection.
- You will make something awesome for dinner that night. The site of produce varieties you haven’t seen in months, fresh, humanely raised meats and perhaps even a bottle of local wine will inspire you to create a spring feast for friends and family.
- It’s been a long, long, cold, snowy winter for many of us. The opening of seasonal farmers markets mean that spring has really arrived. You deserve to spend an hour so among the colors of the produce and flowers, the smells wafting from the healthy prepared food vendors, and the energy of people reawakening from hibernation, particularly after the winter we just experienced.
Also on MNN
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.