We’re in the middle of National Farmers Market week, running this year from August 2 – 8. Here are five ways that you can support farmers markets this week.
- If you haven’t gotten to the farmers market yet this season, this is the week to go and show your support. If you don’t know where your closest market is, visit Local Harvest to find one near you.
- If you already regularly attend a market, spend a little extra money this week. This could be the week you buy those grass fed steaks you’ve been meaning to try or buy an entire case of tomatoes from one farmer to take home and make a big batch of sauce.
- Vote for your favorite farmers market in American Farmland Trust’s America’s Favorite Farmers Market Contest. Voting ends at the end of National Farmers Market week.
- Invite friends over for a dinner made with foods you bought at the local farmers market. Introduce them to the difference super fresh and local makes. Then invite them to come with you to the market next time you go.
- Volunteer at the market table. Most markets have a table with information about the market. If you’ve never volunteered at the table before, this is the week to offer your services. Even if you aren’t needed this week, chances are you’ll be needed sometime before the end of the season.
If you have other suggestions, add them in the comments.