6 reasons to pack a waste-free school lunch
- Most importantly, they reduce the amount of trash that ends up landfills. According to lunchtaker.com “the typical child generates 67 pounds of lunchtime trash per year.”
- Waste-free lunches can help kids avoid accepting the "throwaway society" mentality.
- A child with a waste-free lunch can be an example to the other students and the teachers.
- Waste-free lunches usually end up being healthier for kids because they end up eating fewer pre-packaged processed foods.
- Waste-free lunches can be money savers for families. Individual pre-packaged snacks are usually more expensive than larger packages that are divided into reusable containers. Waste Free Lunches estimates that a disposable lunch costs $4.02 a day and a waste-free lunch costs $2.65 day. That adds up to an average savings of $246.60 per student each year.
- Less trash can be a money saver for school districts because they don’t have to have as much trash hauled away.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.