7 ways to make grilled cheese a healthier dinner
- Use bread made with whole grains instead of plain white bread for the sandwich.
- Slip some vegetables inside the sandwich. Tomatoes, fat-free salsa or avocadoes work well in a grilled cheese sandwich.
- Slip some fruit inside the sandwich. Apples and pears between slices of cheese can be yummy.
- Use low-fat cheese, but think twice about using fat-free cheese. Fat-free cheese doesn’t melt very well, and a good grilled cheese sandwich needs to be gooey.
- Skip the potato chips, but keep the crunch. Serve crunchy, raw vegetables or apple slices on the side.
- Add a cup of healthy, full-of-vegetables, low-fat soup to make it a heartier meal.
- Use organic ingredients and/or cheese and butter that are made from dairy that is rBST-free.
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.