I’ve already told you that PBS is asking home cooks to celebrate Julia Child’s 100th birthday by cooking one of Julia’s recipes. I’ve seen lots of my food blogging friends already getting in on the fun by making one of Julia’s dishes and posting about it on their blogs. You don’t have to be a food blogger to get in on the fun. There are lots of ways to honor Julia’s 100th birthday, and not all of them involve cooking.
- Take a Celebrating Julia Child cooking class that Sur La Table is hosting at their stores throughout the country.
- Dine at a restaurant that is celebrating Julia Child Restaurant Week. There’s a good list on Tumblr of restaurants all across the country that will be honoring her from Aug. 7-15.
- Buy the first Julia Child cooking app for iPad and Nook. The app includes 32 of the most often prepared recipes from “Mastering the Art of French Cooking,” video clips from one of her cooking series, and much more.
- Read “As Always Julia,” a book of Julia’s correspondence with a close friend, or “My Life in France,” Julia’s autobiography.
- Spend a little time with Julia and some of today’s famous chefs by watching clips from “Cooking with Master Chefs.” Emeril Lagasse, Lidia Bastianich, Alice Waters and others were guests on Julia’s 1990s cooking show.
- Watch PBS for three classic episodes of Julia’s original cooking show, “The French Chef,” that haven’t aired since the 1960s. You’ll have to check your individual PBS station schedule for air times.
- Watch "Julie and Julia," the 2009 movie that follows Julia Child's years of writing "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" while also following a modern-day blogger who is cooking her way through the book.
- Have fun cooking with Julia’s recipes and don’t worry if they don’t turn out perfectly. One of Julia’s pieces of advice that she gave to people was this: “Learn how to cook. Try new recipes, learn from your mistakes, be fearless, and above all, have fun.” I can’t think of a better way to honor Julia Child than actually having fun while you’re cooking.
Do you have any other ideas to honor Julia’s birthday?
The opinions expressed by MNN Bloggers and those providing comments are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of MNN.com. While we have reviewed their content to make sure it complies with our Terms and Conditions, MNN is not responsible for the accuracy of any of their information.